Saturday, July 17, 2010

Good Morning, Miss Bliss

Sure there may be wicked smog lingering above the ass-stained streets of my current neighborhood... and true I never know what to say to Catwoman as she riddles off her daily dilemmas in the fresh fruit section of the grocery store... but let it be known that Los Angeles shows up to my door time after time with the coolest opportunities to mingle and muse with the greatest folks around.

It's been nearly two years since I first came in contact with the supermassive gravitational pull of Matthew Puckett and Jeremy Silver. And it was just a couple short months later that SpaceHeat sonically boomed into the universe. It was never part of my musical plans to fashion the sort of melodies and beats that'll catch the attention of Timberlake and Bieber, but oh what a danceable ride it's been.

Every session is like going to school where the walls wear vinyl records and soundproof foam, where the dress code is "the same clothes I wore last night", and the teachers are pulled straight off the glossy front page of future issues of Rolling Stone. Lunch count still leaves room for improvement, but overall school rules.

It's no coincidence that I met these musical geniuses in a classroom-like setting, in a songwriters workshop along with a number of other incredible new friends. And I could not be happier to be their peer in yet another workshop this summer. This new school is atop an upward stream of winding roads, amidst the homes that housed Joni Mitchell, Jim Morrison, and some other folks you may have heard of. The desks at this school are plastic green deck chairs (or the two-seater bench swing, if you're lucky). I got a check plus on my first assignment and I cannot wait to find out what becomes of the coming weeks.

Alright, my alarm gave out a warning. Meeting up with Jeremy in the studio to help out with his new album (dropping this Fall)! And if you haven't purchased it already, pick up Matthew Puckett's latest! You'll thank yourself for the musical nutrients it undeniably provides. If you watch Boston Med on ABC, you already know Matthew Puckett's music. These classmates set a really high bar.

...I don't think I'm gonna make it on time,
Ryan

1 comment:

  1. More people need to know about your blog!
    You are brilliant! You should write a book using
    your blog entries!

    ReplyDelete