Thursday, July 8, 2010

We're All On Top Of It

I've been writing/recording a bunch of new Ryan Dilmore songs in my quaint California apartment. I've lived in 5 different places since I moved to L.A., with a number of different roommates and real-life cartoon characters (and occasionally their pet of choice). If you've ever moved in with total strangers or searched craigslist for a roof to sleep beneath, I'm sure you share the desire I have to write a book about the adventures. A book that ends with the line, "I'm so glad that's all over." I'm grateful for every temporary co-tenant, it makes having my own space now all the more liberating! I can play guitar whenever I want, I can check my pants at the door, I can do all the things Kevin McCallister did and more.

Another thing - it's so awesome to thread creativity into only positive fabrics these days. Sharing my energy with the brilliant and enthusiastic practices and partnerships. I Love having more time lately to focus on being an individual, developing the artist that I am. Free to sing the songs I want, play the chords I want.

Here's a song I was inspired to write last month. Go ahead, take it for its first spin.


It was the perfect exercise in accidentally writing a whole tune in under 5 minutes. Quite a contrast from the 2-years-to-finish-this-chorus method I use all too often, which can totally drain the joy right out of the songwriting experience. Songs are meant to be sung, not worked on for eternity. To remedy this, I'm practicing every day to get out of the way, to be the mysterious channel that so many creators speak of. Openness.

Keep the Change,
ryan

2 comments:

  1. I Love it. :)

    You are a positive light in a hazy Los Angeles. Keep being awesome babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! I love your new song! I can't wait to hear it on the radio!

    ReplyDelete